Friday, July 22, 2011

New Native Name

I went out to the lake last summer with a friend-we'll call her May. We were all alone until three native American boys came to our little cliff spot to the right of the main beach.

"Hey girls." One of the three said. We respond back with a wave. "So, are you two together like together or just here hanging out as friends."
We were so dumbfounded by the questioning of our orientation we burst out laughing, "Just friends guys. Calm down." We were keeping to ourselves when the tall skinny one started talkin to me. Just random questions, wanting our names, where we live, just random curiosities any stranger would ask as they were sharing a water spot. We found out they of the Nez Perce people. The chubby guy about my height started running and jumped off the highest cliff, landing with a big splash. The younger boy ran off and did the same.
The skinny one, still trying to strike up conversation asks, "why don't you jump off?"
Ha. Me? Heights? You're joking.
I laugh and shake my head no.
"You?" He asks May.
She just shakes her head, trying to avoid conversation.
"C'mon, it's fun, watch I'll do it." I follow the guy up the land and around to the grassy cliff. I go to the edge and look down. In reality, it's only about a nine or ten foot jump. In my mind, it goes on forever and I'd have a ton of uncomfortable air time.
He jumps off, surfaces, and gives me a smile.
"Do it, don't be a pansy." Says the chubby one.
"Dude I'm such a pansy! I can't do heights." I say.
"De-pansify yourself!" The skinny one in the water calls up.
He comes out of the water, runs to my side and grabs my hand. "We'll jump together, okay?"
I shoot May a look. She just smiles, shrugs, and rolls her eyes. The chubby is conversating with her further telling her she should.
I look down again. " On three okay?" He says. I walk away. It scared me.
"Oh c'mon!" He follows after.
At that moment, I grab my balls, turn around, and run as fast as I can off the cliff. The boys in a frenzy, cheering. I surface and smile. Chubbs calls out to me, "Hey, your native name is now Big Balls. Prove yourself worthy by jumping again, and I shall give you a new native name."
I didn't even care about the name- it was so wonderful to just jump! Finally just let go. I ran up to the cliff again, doing the same routine, and just jumping instead of waiting.
I surface and Chubbs calls out to me.
"I have your new native name. It shall be Bigger Balls." All the boys laugh, May too. "Bigger Balls!" "Bigger Balls!"

That's how I got my native name from the Nez Perce peoples.


No comments:

Post a Comment